Steve McCurry is one of most iconic voices in contemporary photography with a career spanning more than 30 years.
As you can imagine, his experience in photography is invaluable. Here are 9 photo composition tips from McQurry that every aspiring photographer ought to keep in mind:
1. Rule of Thirds – This rule states that you should always position important elements along the lines on your camera grid.
2. Leading Lines – Use natural lines to lead the eye into the picture.
3. Diagonals – Diagonal lines create great movement.
4. Framing – Use natural frames like windows and doors.
5. Figure to Ground – Find a contrast between subject and background.
6. Fill the Frame – Get close to your subjects.
7. Center Dominant Eye – Place the dominant eye in the center of the photo. This gives the impression the eyes follow you.
8. Patterns & Repetition – Patterns are aesthetically pleasing. But the best is when the pattern is interrupted.
9. Symmetry – Symmetry is pleasing to the eye.
Remember that the composition is important, but rules are meant to be broken. So enjoy yourself, photograph in your own way and style.